Wyndham Clark explains why he rejected LIV Golf after Tiger Woods advice

The US Open champion opted not to follow Tyrrell Hatton and Jon Rahm over to LIV Golf despite talks and a lucrative offer

 

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy notice

US Open champion Wyndham Clark said he spoke with LIV Golf representatives over a potential switch to the Saudi Arabia-backed circuit but when he thought about his “legacy” in the game he opted to stick with the PGA Tour — for this season at least.

The 30-year-old moved up to the sixth in the world rankings after he was declared the winner of the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, which was reduced to 54 holes due to weather conditions in Northern California on Sunday.

Englishman Tyrrell Hatton became the latest high-profile name to join LIV last month, joining a team led by Masters champion Jon Rahm, who made a big-money move in December.

 

Clark said he was interested to see what kind of proposal LIV would put forward.

 

“I wanted to see what they could bring to the table,” Clark said at a press conference. “I ultimately declined going to LIV because I felt like I still have a lot of things left in the tank on the PGA Tour and I wanted to chase records, I wanted to chase world ranking.

 

Gideon Canice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *